Thursday, June 4, 2009

Downloadable Resources

This week we are working on downloadable resources. This is definitely not a user-friendly procedure. How to find downloadable titles is not clear. I tried to load a title from OverDrive which I checked for on my computer. I had the files but the book told me to download the software which, of course, I could not do. I then searched in the catalog for a book from NetLibrary. I selected a title which took thirty minutes to download. It can only be read on a computer which does not seem very useful to me. I did feel a great feeling of accomplishment when I heard it coming over my computer.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting to me the way these things are presented, because I think the feeling is, "Well, the people who would like these things already know how to use them." It would be wonderful to work more on teaching/training materials so that people who might "fear the format" could learn to use them more easily...

    All of this is really useful in terms of better helping our patrons, so thanks for the detailed feedback.

    ReplyDelete